This is an information page describing all the features of my slither.io mod with the new ones first.
NTL MOD is available for download and installation in chrome webstore here: or as a zip file from this site (read below).
Although this is a team oriented mod, anyone can use it as a standalone slither mod.
If you want to use this mod to play with your friends or form a team, you need to donate via paypal send money to firstname.lastname@example.org to get your own auth keys and teamID. If you want to join an already existing team you need to contact the team owner for keys. Minimum donations are as follows:
- 50 EURO / teamID for unlimited players & keys
- 10 EURO / teamID for max 3 simultaneous players
- 20 EURO / teamID for max 6 simultaneous players
- 30 EURO / teamID for max 9 simultaneous players
- 10 EURO / custom tag integration (not design) - click here for info on how to build your tag
All donations are needed one time only, with lifetime team validity.
Donations stimulate me to keep updating the mod and adding features and also help me pay for infrastructure and hosting.
If you like this project please donate to support its future development!
For new teamIDs and keys, reporting bugs or features requests you can reach me in the following ways:
e-mail: , twitter: , telegram:
Due to chrome webstore dev team's new policy and code auditing taking even up to a month to publish updates, my mod is now also available for download as a zip file, to be installed using developer mode of browser. I will still push the new updates to webstore so you can wait for them to become available or, for the impatient, all new features will be available in this zip file. This will usually be the version you see me playing with and testing new features.
Feel free to check the build date on this page as the zip mod will not auto-update and will not check for newer versions. If you want auto-update you're better off using the webstore one. This one is meant for the impatient and people helping me test things.
Zip is completely independent and stand-alone so if you like a specific version and don't care about new updates you are now in control.
Installing zip extension is easy: chrome menu -> more tools -> extensions -> enable developer mode toggle switch -> load unpacked button -> select ntlmod folder (where you unzipped the file).
If you always unzip in the same folder (say in downloads) overwriting previous version all you need to do is close and restart browser (without going in any menus).
Installation tutorial (webstore, zip file, joining a team): click for video
- nick filter added to options: if any nicks contains any of the filtered words it will become nameless. You can still peek at them during game by pressing the skin/nick peek button W. It is ONLY a locally managed filter list so that each user controls his own unwanted words. It can be opened on the fly and will provide quick suggestions for copy-paste. *Thanks Tracie for the idea*
- faster 'select server by ping' list
- minor improvements
- fixed mod not working when ad blockers or dns filters were in use
- better skin management (zoom controls can be used to scroll)
- fixed tag bug in skin selector
- tag adjustments for high fps
- repack with fps limiter defaulted to 144
- added 2 new tags
- adjusted tags and cosmetics to fit in lower resolution 800x600 +
- fixed skin selector for neon to look like in-game skin
- regenerated 190 new neon skins (some of the first ones didn't have any effect)
- fixed "select server by ping" sometimes not loading due to timeouts
- new "neon" skins added. *Thanks ARG MANDA for creating them*
- better skin management
- fixed nick peek bug (if pressed while dying nicks were on next respawn)
- minor improvements
- fixed slither skin bug
- minor settings improvement
- mod no longer tries to validate auth keys every 1 minute like it does if they were previously filled in and declared invalid. With the button "no team" which resets auth keys to empty (like default clean install of mod) there is no point in trying to contact my server in order to validate keys since the user does not explicitely belong in any team
- added new tags
- added a news feed to chat for first connect
- various code cleanup and performance improvements (higher fps on older hardware with latest chrome)
- code cleanup
- keypressing ' (single quote) enables chat text to be mouse-selectable during play
- skin peek (W) now also has nick peek (for when playing with all nameless)
- made chat window selectable again while playing (needed for select based translations)
- when bot is ON near border, border assist is disabled
- when bot is ON, assist front laser is disabled
- when border assist is in use, front laser is ON even if disabled in options
- added border assist to assist function (it will autodrive the snake along the border when R or KK active). Presentation here: click for video
- code cleanup
- snake size in nick now has @ in front
- Graphics engine is now unlocked, anyone can try their rigs and hope for the best: FPS limiter <=60 synced to refresh rate, > 60 raw power unlocked. Default is 60 when in doubt. For max fps set graphics to low and check "disable boost glow effect", then work your way up
- code cleanup
- Escape can now close realtime and settings.*Thanks H A L 9 0 0 0 for the idea*
- fixed chat select/send bug when left mouse clicked. Chat input line is meant to be activated with enter or right click into it during play. Before this it could be activated with left click as well. Also disabled selectable text during play.
- code cleanup, various optimizations
- fixed EE menu glitch due to latest chrome update bug
- minor bugfixes and design changes
- fixed AA shortcut bug caused in chrome v81
- minor settings bugfixes
- fixed bug with change skin buttons
- option to disable cosmetics for snakes outside team
- option to control boost effect around snakes
- W option (skin peek) now also brings temporary nicks on top
- mod ready for 144+ FPS
- small bugfixes
- added some more tags*Thanks mimizu-san for contributing the snow flake*
- small bugfixes
- fixed bug regarding own skin in low graph
- fixed bug with max scaling not filling entire screen
- all NTL MOD users are now joined in NTL NETWORK & can see other NTL MOD users' cosmetic and tag even if no team membership
- unlocked cosmetics for jelly, slug and one-eyed skins
- improved resize
- added option fps limiter. some weak computers will benefit from limiting to 50 or 45 fps, while strong ones can benefit from rising to ~90 (if higher refresh rate).
- user selectable menu theme
- change in-game aspect ratio with new scalling function (keys [[ & ]]). Scriptbot triggers a chat message when sharpness is at maximum for crystal clear game image. You won't get back to the original blurry game after this :)
- lots of overall improvements for windows users with older hardware
- fixed bug with game stuttering when used with displays with higher refresh rate. *Thanks V O R T X for the bug report*
- game's servers in main menu are now sorted by connect ping. Useless compared to in-game network delay (the most accurate value indicating your game fluidity), but in case you don't know the geographic area you live in, now you can just select the server closest to you. This doesn't mean it will perform the best as many factors depend on a fluent game, like slither server load, in-game network packets, local cpu load and so on.
- added settings button to quickly drop out of any team and make all authkeys blank
- small bugfix
- increased visibility of default location dot on radar/map
- added option nicks always on top & high visibility (shadow) *Thanks PVO for the idea*
- added ~500 custom dots for players to pick from, also no more random ones. *Thanks sizematters for the idea & artwork*
- added assist function (R or KK keys) : activates front directional laser, disables food for better enemy visibility, puts nicks back behind snakes. *Thanks TraXarT for the idea*
- added option to make skin peek always on: you can play with just your snake in low graph while all other snakes have true medium graph skins. *Thanks PXXR for the idea*
- various improvements of game's design flaws.
- new mod icon. *Thanks BRB for the idea & artwork*
- W option (skin peek when in low graph) now shows just true skins of other snakes and not your own to prevent low fps.
- fixed skin peek bug (if pressed while dying game would start in medium until w pressed again)
- increased visibility of death point keep option when ON (not recording new death location)
- hopefully fixed reported random instability around death point location
- added skin peek option (pressing W while in low graph briefly shows true skins until W is released) *Thanks sizematters for the idea*
- custom built skins can now be saved and reused anytime later on *Thanks Nadya30 & Xarxes for the idea*
- added backup/restore functionality for all settings
- better keys management (pairs of keys can be saved) *Thanks sizematters & PVO for the idea*
- chat bugfix
- added mod version in players status (v0 means any version before v3.12)
- all game graphics are now loaded from locally stored subfolder named s. You can replace graphics saving them with the same name to enhance your gaming experience with your own tags or cosmetics (like flags and such) but they won't be visible to your team (they will be replaced by the original one unless they make the same change as you)
- chat timestamps. *Thanks stabmyselfintheears for the idea*
- new delay measurement shown as x(y): x= max delay in the last second, y= max delay in the past 10s. Before it was the last second average so expect higher and more accurate values.
- player details (like fps, khh, delay) *Thanks sizematters for the idea*
- sound alert for SOS. *Thanks Xarxes for the idea*
- alternate menu (Big Shaq's design) *Thanks Big Shaq for the idea*
- bot near border. *Thanks Xarxes for the idea*
- chat line stays active during death
- nickname censorship announcement in chat (if the case)
- unlocked all cosmetics (visible only to team users, so not server wide)
- cosmetics are visible within team (or applied to all team with your one)
- menu animation disabler
- predefined chat lines *Thanks Toby / forman bros for the idea*
- option QQ to show the current predefined chat lines (does not work if scriptbot messages are disabled in chat)
- zoom speed setting *Thanks Not My Main Account for the idea*
- online players status *Thanks PVO for the idea*
- 2016 background
- hide addon windows while choosing skin
- many items and flags (only of countries hosting slither servers) now available as tags on any snake, custom or predefined, visible to team members
My servers log very basic information about each computer connecting to my site, such as IP address, device characteristics, and browser type as required to interact by web server software. None of this information is associated with any identified person at the time it is collected, but it could potentially be tied to you somehow if we are required to disclose our server logs as a result of a subpoena or other legal process.
To be part of and share game data with the team (like any other online game or any internet resource for that matter), mod connects to my servers using the IP provided by your ISP or proxy/vpn, auth keys, nickname, score, chat message and so on. If keys are valid, it resends data once every 4 seconds. If not valid or no connection to my server, it slows down re-checking to once every minute to not uselessly consume resources, in the eventuality that keys might became valid (connection re-established, key unbanned, team re-activated etc).
Current score, final scores, nicknames, auth keys, and IP address of player and of slither server (chat is not saved) are stored for up to one month in the team log from where the team owner can see the players accessing his team. When log is displayed in browser, only the second least significant part of player's ip is displayed (for privacy reasons). Geoip data (that has max accuracy of city) is (re)computed using local database (maxmind.com) at the time of web log display. GeoIP along with the second half of ip helps team owners to identify keys that were leaked to 3rd persons, team spies, impersonators of players, multiple suspicious usage or any other general abuse.
For those who have less technical knowledge regarding IP addresses and geoip:
- Anything you communicate with on the internet can only be done because you have an IP address. Without a working ip address you are offline. Without a court order to your Internet Service Provider to force them to disclose to whom they had leased that ip address at the time in question, noone can use your ip address to identify you. Ip addresses are requiered to be logged by law by all parties involved in a communication starting with your isp, midway carriers and final server that provides the services you access. IP address is regarded to be the equivalent of your car's license plates.
- Geoip is a public service used constantly everywhere starting with your own phone with the intent to provide more relevant services for your area (language, time offset, nearby services etc). GeoIP is a collaborative effort of making a database that is able to estimate where a class of ips is located (your ip represents just one in a class of several tens of thousands). It is by no means 100% reliable or complete and it depends of how ISP's around the world volunteered to declare these aspects. Considering that the authority in IP address allocation keeps redistributing ip classes, do not expect to see accurate results.
In the case of team's log it should be enough and quite useful in order to spot keys used in different areas than they should. Although mod is built with friendship in mind, it seems there will always be ill-intentioned people... team owners were faced with abuse so these tools were developed to address these issues.
Here is a screenshot of how entries look like in team log:
If any of the above is a concern or you do not agree with something that was explained, the safe choice for you would be to uninstall the mod and stop using any of my services hosted on ntl-slither.com.
New format & features in v2.0+
- added option to disable SCRIPTBOT alert when new player joins (some people have timeouts in connection or just too many players). *Thanks TraXarT for the idea*
- added option to disable all SCRIPTBOT messages
- added option to select SCRIPTBOT chat color. *Thanks sizematters for the idea*
- joining player is also announced in chat by SCRIPTBOT (besides beep)
- added new flag "*" in players list meaning that player has "all nameless" option turned ON
- team nick color is now used for team players in leaderboard as well
- added stealth mode option: everyone else outside the team script will see a nameless snake (in leaderboard as well) with a random skin changed with each respawn. Those in same script will see your nick (if nicks+ is ON) and true skin. The idea of not being able to control what nick or skin the others see was to discourage outside script teaming. Players list now contains a "!" letter near the BSF flags that means that player uses stealth mode. Also in EE menu the status appears as well.
- added option to make all other snakes nameless (that are not part of your team).
- added option to automatically send chat message "Help me!" when SOS flag is turned ON. *Thanks KKBB for the idea*
- added Del button when building skin to delete last ring *Thanks SilverSlayer for the idea*
- zoom disabled while in settings for changing numeric values with scroll wheel
- added option to set default reset zoom ratio (during setting it zoom changes to reflect the value)
- added mouse hover in players list to easily identify one player of interest *Thanks MAIKOLANYELOW for the idea*
- added server time in RealTime Leaderboards and in mod during play. This represents the slither server's date / time (local time of that country's capital city with respect to Daylight Savings Time) *Thanks Raichou for the idea*
- added settings options transparency and minimum bot circleing score *Thanks SlitherBoss for the idea*
- added seconds to times (local time & game duration) *Thanks Raichou for the idea*
- added 2nd scroll click to reset zoom (1st scroll click or key X resets zoom to default set in options, then the 2nd scroll click or X press bring the zoom back to where it were) *Thanks PVO for the idea*
- various fine tunings and bug fixes of new format
- true skin when in low graphics for you and your team: high visibility + anti fake + ability to play with higher FPS while having nice skins for what matters most
- shortcut added to easily change graphics mode during game.
- all snakes have white nick except special color for team: anti fake
- ability to open settings and realtime leaderboard during play (if bot is enabled)
- ability to switch between teams on-the-fly (say u have 100K snake and need help from another team?:))
- slither server communication delay near FPS (try to find a server under 100ms for best performance. You can see the freezes spiking up :)). This is not networking ping that has nothing to do with how busy the slither application server really is.
- completely redesigned settings with lots of customizations
- long skin builder (ultra custom skins) *Thanks sizematters for the idea*
- high visibility leadearboard (if enabled)
- screenshot on death as well *Thanks KKBB for the idea*
- beep when player joines *Thanks KKBB for the idea*
- auto no prey: if ON preys are available under 1K then they turn Off. It re-enables them again automatically if under 1K
- added new online players window correlated with server side key owner from admin page: anti spies, intruders and fakes
How to build a custom tag:
- download the zip mod
- extract the zip, the result will be a folder named "ntlmod"
- using developer mode in browser's extensions, add the mod from "ntlmod" folder
- locate subfolder "s" in "ntlmod" and in it you will find the files t_XX.png which hold the public tags
- launch the game and select some of those tags that resemble your future tag shape
- use image editor and edit the previously selected tag image then save it in place (exact same filename)
- reload slither in browser. now it should show your newly edited tag
- when happy with the image (rotate it as needed) send it to me.
- the image needs to be around 170x170px or 170x240px depending on shape needed, .png format with transparent background, file size 10-20 KBytes
LAG or no LAG
My mod is guaranteed to not induce any additional lag to what the original game already has and most of the time behaves better and more fluent than the game without any mod, and in my experience (and most of my users') definitely better than any other mod.
That being said every computer system is different so here are some steps in trying to solve the lag issues:
- Internet connection: Always choose wired copper cat5 or cat6 ethernet over wifi or power ethernet as it is the most stable and with the lowest latency inside your building. If technical skilled and capable router, configure bandwidth policy lanes and prioritize port TCP 444 over anything else, this way even if others heavily use your internet, you won't be affected. If not, then take care of things that might work against you like: windows autoupdates, antivirus autoupdates and scan schedules, other people downloading/streaming movies etc.
- Observe CPU load in crowded areas with many big snakes and lots of deaths. If it tends to be 45-50% or more, your CPU is old and overloaded. You won't be able to not have lag no matter what you do, and also you will have low FPS. Depending on how much cpu load, if you have good internet connection (low latency) will be able to play the game just fine even at 40 FPS. Lower than that it will fragment with tiny freezes.
- Internet browser: I recommend you to use a dedicated browser for slither only with just the slither.io tab opened. That means never browse on any other sites with it, never login on social media sites, don't add any other extensions like ad blockers and such, never accept anything like allow notifications, because if you do, all that will generate background communications in your browser and will interfere with gaming. The best way is to use a portable chrome or chromium (that can be truly independent of anything else). You shoud at least try the open source non-bloated version of chrome called chromium - Try an older browser that is less oriented on using new cpu instructions like this one for Windows or this one for Mac .
- Use various mod settings like lower graphics quality (you can also change that during play by clicking on the upper right tiny icon), no new prey, small new food, as these help reduce a little the cpu and gpu load.
- Use lower OS video resolution. If affordable buy a second display (for a multiple display setup) with lower native resolution (noone should need more than 1920x1080 for this) and play slither on that one.
- If you record use a hardware encoder like those from nvidia gpu (nvenc hvec etc) as these offload your cpu.
Keyboard / mouse controls
Shortcut keys can be used only during play, not in game menu.
[X] means single press key "x", [TT] means dublepress key "T". This is to prevent triggering potentially dangerous controls while thinking you type in chat line.
Boost/speed is done with SHIFT, SPACEBAR, left mouse button.
While chat line is activated after Enter, you can send message with Enter (if not empty) or with right mouse button (even if empty).
Using the BOT
Smart bot OFF means it won't gather food when small, does not bother to detect food or being trapped or anything other than avoiding collision, it only circles if above 2000 points big circle counterclockwise, tiny coil clockwise. This prevents some occasions in which when pressing TT to activate circle bot, the bot does some dumb moves and kills himself as he is a bit confused by enemies around, food or figuring out circleing direction.
Default is smart bot ON which gathers food and starts circleing above 2k (2000 points) in any direction.
The best way to engage circle bot is to form the biggest possible circle by yourself and overlap head with tail for about 3-4 snake segments at least then press TT and confirm in chatbox or key menu that the bot is ON.(sometimes you might write TT in chatline :))
Circle bot will do its best to be expanded as much as possible while keeping a small overlap.
TeamID key is used to identify a certain team in a unique way. This represents an isolated database of players that share common location and chat.
Auth key if valid gives one the right to query the team database in order to be a part of that team.
Any key can be used multiple times, by any number of players. It's only the validity that matters.
A team can request to have multiple auth keys so that each player can have its own. This is useful for untrusted environments where someone needs to be kicked out for bad behavior without forcing the other players to update their keys with new ones.
Slither Server Brake
Anything you do (bot, manual circleing, or whatever shape) in a contained area, without travelling and changing your snakes' position on map, slither server will track you down as a potential kiosker (mostly passive waiting for food to come to you, not really engaging a normal play). During a gameplay (after each new respawn), it will allow you to do so in roughly the following way: 1st time up to 25-30 mins after which it will take away control from you and your snake will just go straight(server brake takes place) for a few seconds, after which if you are lucky you might still be alive; then even if you move your snake and kiosk again, you will get into the 2nd time of about 15min, 3rd time 5mins. So the more you abuse kiosking the more aggressive the server gets with you and will try to brake you sooner.
That being said, sometimes (but in my experience rarely) it can brake you in the 1st attempt after as few as 10mins.
This has nothing to do with using bot or not, just with not moving around much.
Colored own line in players list
For easy distinguishing of your info line even if nick is the same as others. Chat command available to change the color, eg: "!mnc white" "!mnc magenta" etc.
Unlocked skin builder *Thanks sizematters and KKBB for the idea*
Allows truly unique skins. New button added "nrSave". Means non-repeat Save. It allows a skin that does not repeat the whole group of rings that you built, instead it repeats only the last ring. Also even if not visible (yet, maybe in a future version?) you can continue to click and define colored rings past the allowed visible ones then as your snake will grow during play, you will see them.
Bigger radar (map)
Double press 4 to toggle between 1x 2x 3x size map.
Snake scores *Thanks SlitherBoss for the idea*
Double press 1 to add to the nickname of any near snakes it's score in k (1k = 1000 points). Snakes under 1k will have 0k which looks like "ok" and seemed funny to me. No decimal as it will distract you by constantly changing. Much added bonus: no nameless snakes ever again so easier spotting them.
Double press 2 to disable the flying round free point giver called "prey". Why? because it blinded me when I needed to see. Besides by disableing it the game has less things to draw on screen so slight speed increase.
Press 33 for the new food to appear smaller, like the pellets on the floor. Relax after a snake dies the trail of food will be clearly visible. Why? it blinds me, small snakes can spawn right into it, and again less work for cpu/gpu to draw it.
Death Point *Thanks The Rekterer for the idea*
The blue circle dot that tracks where you last died so you can easily return. After respawn you have 1 minute to decide if it's worth keeping it (Death point keep ON - button \) if not it will self destruct.
Food circle green dot *Thanks sizematters for the idea*
Smaller than SOS circle dot, does not overlap with SOS one, can be used independent from SOS.
It means food to offer.
Current time and Rates
It shows in lower left corner the current date/time for various reasons (recording info, don't forget that meeting and so on:)) and also the GMT offset.
In lower right there are 4 more counters:
- 1. time: it shows how much time has passed since last respawn
- 2. rate in K/m or k/hh: it shows an average of how fast you scored expressed in K(score)/minute up to 40K then it switches to K/hh(half hour ie.: 30 mins). Why hh(half hour)? because that's what it takes for a fast player that is constantly agrressive, kills and eats successfully to reach 100K score. My personal best in solo gameplay is 100K in 27 mins meaning 111K/hh, and 460K in 2h25m meaning 95K/hh. In short, the goal of scoring with 100K/hh is a perfect round number you want to reach. The faster you will play you'll notice sometimes you can score even 200K/hh or more (I'm not talking about bot rain here) but as you grow it will be harder to keep up with that rate, but nevertheless keep murdering around and try to keep that rate around 100K/hh.
- 3. kills: a dumb counter that keeps track of how many snakes hit your body and died. That means even if they hit you without you attacking them, or they hit further at the end of your tail and so on. It doesn't count and can't count snakes you cause death to by pushing them in others or in the red border.
- 4. rate in K/k: it's an average of how much K of score you got per 1 kill. It gives some hints about your game style, like if you score in a map with bots it will be very low, if you are a circler and being donated mass, if will be very high. Usually for fast players it is around 2K/k. Not particularily reliable, but useful.
Time and scoring rate in k/hh can be toggled on/off with / (*Thanks KKBB for the idea*).
to be continued
If anyone that made suggestions of improving the mod is not mentioned here note that is was not intentionally but out of mistake. Contact me for proper crediting :)